Due to the overwhelming demand (aka one request from Kirin 🙂 ) I’m bringing back Frugal February for 2016! It’s not exactly going to be the same as last year. It was so ridiculously cold here in Toronto last year that I was able to get away with being a bit of a hermit.
Unfortunately for my wallet, but fortunately for my social life, I’ve got a lot planned events this February. Plus a few unexpected costs have already popped up like renewing my passport before it expires next month. So, I’m going to use Frugal Feb in the areas of my life that I can to save some extra cash (food, certain entertainment, misc. purchases) and budget accordingly for being social throughout the month!
Goals for February:
- No going out to get fast food alone. Ever.
- Going out to restaurants is ok when with other people. However, to cut costs only going to order water. Also, no appetizers, desserts, etc.
- Focus on using up ingredients in the pantry before heading to the grocery store.
- Grocery shopping will be reserved to getting fresh fruit and vegetables and any staples that run out. I’ve still got some gift cards for certain grocery chains from Christmas, so going to use those up.
- Have more date nights at home with home cooked meals, movies & board games, or out in the city like walks, skating, free shows, etc.
- Make lunches for the entire week every Sunday. Meal prep Sundays!
- This week is a mushroom and cauliflower soup with rice! It’s (thankfully) delicious.
- Re-visit old movies, tv shows & video games whenever I get the urge for some new at home entertainment.
- No unnecessary spending on myself. No new clothes, no new electronics, etc.
All money saved will be dedicated to my “London Fund” where I plan on traveling to in May! I’m already down one day, so only 28 more to go.