Before I forget I’m going to finish my Nintendo themed baking posts that I created for my Brother’s Bachelor party. The last desserts for this party were mushroom and 1-up cake pops! The 1-up made it’s first appearance in 1985 with Super Mario Bros. The mushroom then made it’s appearance in the 1988 sequel Super Mario Bros. 2.
For this recipe I used allrecpies.com’s Simple White Cake recipe. I’m just going to copy / paste from the site.
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
2.In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan. Note: I have a specialized pan, which is what I use to make my cake pops.
3.Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
After the cake pops were finished baking I put them in the fridge for about 10 minutes to let them cool. I only needed 3/4’s of the cake pop for the mushroom cap so using a knife I just cut 1/4 of the cake pop off. I then put them in the freezer overnight. Though you probably only need to freeze them for an hour. Note: I did this because the weight of the cake pops cause them to fall off sometimes when you’re dipping into candy melts.
The next day I melted both green and red candy melts. I dipped the cake pop sticks into the candy melts before inserting the sticks into the cake pops to give the cake pop more stability when dipping fully into the melt. From there I just dipped them right in. Note: It’s a good idea to buy either a Styrofoam block, or something to stick the cake pops in while they dry. As you can see from my photo I didn’t have one and things got messy.
Once they were drying I spread a little of the candy melt onto regular sized marshmallows and used them to create the stem. From there I used both white and black icing to create the spots on the mushroom caps and the eyes on the marshmallows.
And the end result!