I don’t know what it’s been about this summer, but I feel the weather in Toronto has been crazy. From April – June it felt wet and rainy, and this was taken to the extreme with a huge storm causing flooding. Now just a week later. It feels like we are going through a heat wave.
Perhaps it’s just the extreme changes that I’m not used to, but walking outside yesterday after work felt like walking out into a furnace. I was sweating almost instantly! I’m not a big fan of extremes (to be honest, I’m not really sure who is). I like comfortable weather, not weather where it’s advised not to leave your home if you don’t have to. On the plus side of all this after work I went swimming, and that just felt fantastic. It’s days like yesterday that make me extremely envious of anyone who owns a pool.
Heat Tips & Reminders
Most if not all of these are obvious, however it’s always good to be reminded when dealing with extreme heat. Make sure to be prepared if you have to hit the streets.
- Stay hydrated! Especially if you’re working out outside. Even if you’re not it’s a good idea to keep a reusable water bottle on you.
- Sunscreen. Lots of sunscreen.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat and light and loose clothing.
- Avoid the sun when it’s the strongest if possible. Between the hours of 10am – 4pm.
- Avoid beverages that make you dehydrated quicker. Alcohol and coffee being the main culprits.
- DO NOT leave your pet or child in your car.
- At the same time, don’t leave your dogs tied up in the sun as you go into a store. There are other reasons you shouldn’t do it too.